Last updated 13/06/2017
Date   Name Born Died  Age
Dates in italics in the first column denote that the election held on that
date was a by-election. Dates shown in normal type were general elections,
or, in some instances, the date of a successful petition against a 
previous election result.
Dates in italics in the "Born" column indicate that the MP was baptised on
that date; dates in italics in the "Died" column indicate that the MP was
buried on that date
   Apr 1660 Sir William Wheler,1st baronet c 1601 6 Aug 1666
James Herbert  (to 1677) c 1623 3 Apr 1677
 3 Apr 1661 Sir Edward Hales,2nd baronet  (to Feb 1681)  12 Feb 1626 c 1684
14 Apr 1677 James Herbert  [after being again returned at  27 Apr 1660 11 Nov 1704 44
the general elections in Feb and Aug 1679 
(notwithstanding that he was under age) he
was unseated on petition in favour of William
Glanville on 8 Jan 1681]
 8 Jan 1681 William Glanville  (to 1685) 13 Sep 1618 12 Apr 1702 83
10 Feb 1681 Gerard Gore c 1653 c 1708
 7 Mar 1685 Sir John Godwin c 1634 Mar 1688
Caleb Banks 18 Sep 1659 13 Sep 1696 36
10 Jan 1689 James Herbert 27 Apr 1660 11 Nov 1704 44
Robert Crawford  (to 1705) c 1657 c Nov 1706
20 Feb 1690 Sir John Banks,1st baronet 19 Aug 1627 19 Oct 1699 72
28 Oct 1695 Caleb Banks 18 Sep 1659 13 Sep 1696 36
31 Oct 1696 Thomas King  (to 1708) after 1647 17 Jul 1725
9 May 1705 Sir John Jennings  (to 1710) 1664 23 Dec 1743 79
3 May 1708 Henry Withers c 1651 11 Nov 1729
6 Oct 1710 Thomas King  (to 1722) after 1647 17 Jul 1725
  James Herbert 28 Oct 1688 25 Apr 1721 32
25 Aug 1713 Charles Fotherby 7 Apr 1674 1 Aug 1720 46
25 Jan 1715 Philip Jennings     c 1679 10 Feb 1740
24 Mar 1722 James Littleton 29 Oct 1668  3 Feb 1723 54
John Cope  (to 1727)        1690 28 Jul 1760 70
19 Mar 1723 George Forbes,styled Viscount Forbes,later
[1734] 3rd Earl of Granard 21 Oct 1685 19 Jun 1765 79
19 Aug 1727 Sprig Manesty  (to 1729) 29 Sep 1728
John Crowley    3 Nov 1689  2 Jan 1728 38
20 Feb 1728 Sir George Saunders  (to 1735)     c 1671  5 Dec 1734
27 Jan 1729 Richard Evans  (to 1754) 22 Nov 1762
22 Feb 1735 Lord Archibald Hamilton 17 Feb 1673  5 Apr 1754 81
 4 May 1741 Thomas Newnham  1 May 1697 18 Sep 1761 64
13 Apr 1754 Charles Frederick  [kt 1761]   (to 1784) 21 Dec 1709 18 Dec 1785 75
Sir Piercy Brett     c 1710 14 Oct 1781
 7 Oct 1774 Sir Walter Rawlinson        1734 13 Mar 1805 70
31 Mar 1784 John Clater Aldridge     c 1737 16 May 1795
George Bowyer,later [1794] 1st baronet        1739  6 Dec 1799 60
19 Jun 1790 Gibbs Crawfurd        1732 13 Oct 1793 61
Richard Hopkins  (to 1796)     c 1728 19 Mar 1799
 3 Dec 1793 Augustus Rogers 5 May 1794
15 Feb 1794 John Sargent  (to 1802) 1750 9 Sep 1831 81
27 May 1796 Evan Nepean,later [1802] 1st baronet 19 Jul 1752  2 Oct 1822 70
 5 Jul 1802 John Prinsep  (to Oct 1806) 23 Apr 1746 30 Nov 1831 85
George Peter Moore 25 May 1778 by 1828
21 Mar 1806 Sir Samuel Romilly  (to 1807) 1 Mar 1757 2 Nov 1818 61
29 Oct 1806 William Frankland 26 Jul 1761 10 Jun 1816 54
 7 May 1807 Joseph Hunt  [expelled 23 May 1810] c 1762 10 Jan 1816
John Charles Villiers,later [1824] 3rd Earl of
Clarendon  (to Oct 1812) 14 Nov 1757 22 Dec 1838 81
 1 Jun 1810 Richard Wellesley 22 Apr 1787  1 Mar 1831 43
15 Jan 1812 Robert Moorsom   [kt 1815]   (to 1820)    Jun 1760 14 May 1835 74
 7 Oct 1812 John Osborn,later [1818] 5th baronet  3 Dec 1772 28 Aug 1848 75
17 Jun 1818 Edmund Phipps  7 Apr 1760 14 Sep 1837 77
8 Mar 1820 John Charles Villiers,later [1824] 3rd Earl of
Clarendon 14 Nov 1757 22 Dec 1838 81
George Peter Holford  (to 1826) 1767 30 Apr 1839 71
22 Mar 1824 Lord Frederick Cavendish-Bentinck  2 Nov 1781 11 Feb 1828 46
10 Jun 1826 Ulysses Bagenal Burgh,2nd Baron Downes
of Aghanville [I] 15 Aug 1788 26 Jul 1863 74
John Capel  (to 1832) 31 Oct 1767 12 Dec 1846 79
2 Aug 1830 John Capel 31 Oct 1767 12 Dec 1846 79
William Holmes c 1777 26 Jan 1851  
Sir Philip Charles Henderson Calderwood
Durham        1763  2 Apr 1845 81
Double return. The names of William Holmes
and Sir Philip Charles Henderson Durham were
erased from the return and that of Thomas
Gladstone substituted 2 Dec 1830
2 Dec 1830 Thomas Gladstone,later [1851] 2nd baronet 25 Jul 1804 20 Mar 1889 84
2 May 1831 Sir Colquhoun Grant c 1763 20 Dec 1835
       1801 Sir John Parnell,2nd baronet 25 Dec 1744  6 Dec 1801 56
Charles Henry Coote,later [1802] 2nd
Baron Castle Coote  (to 1802) 25 Aug 1754 22 Jan 1823 68
28 Dec 1801 William Wellesley-Pole,later [1821] 1st Baron
Maryborough and [1842] 3rd Earl of Mornington 20 May 1763 22 Feb 1845 81
(to 1821)
 5 Apr 1802 Henry Brooke Parnell,later [1812] 4th baronet
and [1841] 1st Baron Congleton  3 Jul 1776  8 Jun 1842 65
23 Jul 1802 Sir Eyre Coote  [degraded 1816] 20 May 1759 10 Dec 1823 64
For further information on this MP,see the 
note at the foot of this page
17 Feb 1806 Henry Brooke Parnell,later [1812] 4th baronet
and [1841] 1st Baron Congleton  (to 1832)  3 Jul 1776  8 Jun 1842 65
27 Aug 1821 Sir Charles Henry Coote,9th baronet  (to 1847)  2 Jan 1794  8 Oct 1864 70
24 Dec 1832 Patrick Lalor c 1786 10 Apr 1856
20 Jan 1835 Thomas Vesey,later [1855] 3rd Viscount
de Vesci 21 Sep 1803 23 Dec 1875 72
15 Aug 1837 John Wilson Fitzpatrick,later [1869] 1st
Baron Castletown 23 Sep 1811 22 Jan 1883 71
10 Jul 1841 Thomas Vesey,later [1855] 3rd Viscount
de Vesci  (to 1852) 21 Sep 1803 23 Dec 1875 72
 7 Aug 1847 John Wilson Fitzpatrick,later [1869] 1st
Baron Castletown 23 Sep 1811 22 Jan 1883 71
19 Jul 1852 Michael Dunne  (to 1865)        1800 20 Sep 1876 76
Sir Charles Henry Coote,9th baronet  2 Jan 1794 8 Oct 1864 70
10 May 1859 Francis Plunket Dunne  (to 1868)  6 Jul 1874
22 Jul 1865 John Wilson Fitzpatrick,later [1869] 1st
Baron Castletown  (to 1870) 23 Sep 1811 22 Jan 1883 71
23 Nov 1868 Kenelm Thomas Digby  (to 1880)
 4 Jan 1870 Edmund Dease 6 Sep 1829 17 Jul 1904 74
8 Apr 1880 Richard Lalor        1823 13 Nov 1893 70
Arthur O'Connor 1 Oct 1844 30 Mar 1923 78
14 Dec 1918 Kevin Christopher O'Higgins  7 Jun 1892 10 Jul 1927 35
For further information on the death of 
this MP,see the note at the foot of this page
28 Feb 1974 Francis Patrick McElhone  5 Apr 1929 22 Sep 1982 53
2 Dec 1982 Helen Margaret McElhone 10 Apr 1933 5 Jun 2013 80
14 Dec 1918 Sir William Whitla 15 Sep 1851 11 Dec 1933 82
 6 Dec 1923 Thomas Sinclair        1857 25 Nov 1940 83
 2 Nov 1940 Douglas Lloyd Savory 17 Aug 1878  5 Oct 1969 91
Kevin Christopher O'Higgins, MP for Queen's County 1918-1922
O'Higgins was elected as Sinn Féin member for Queen's County in December 1918 while in
prison. He was strongly in favour of the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921 and, when the Irish
Free State Parliament was founded on 6 December 1922, he was appointed Minister of
Justice. It was in this role that O'Higgins ordered the execution of nearly 80 Republicans,
including Liam Mellowes, MP for Meath North and Galway West, and Rory O'Connor, who
had been best man at O'Higgins's wedding. In retaliation, the Republicans murdered his
father and burnt down the family home.
O'Higgins's enemies caught up with him on 10 July 1927, as described in this edited report
from "The Times" of 11 July:-
'Ireland has been horrified by the news of the assassination today of Mr. Kevin O'Higgins,
Minister for Justice and External Affairs in the Free State Government. The story of the
crime is a dreadful instance of callous murder.
'Mr. O'Higgins, who lived at Dunamase, Cross-avenue, Blackrock [Dublin], started out
from his house alone to walk to 12 o'clock Mass in Booterstown Roman Catholic Church,
which is only about 400 yards from his home……. Mr. O'Higgins had reached the top of Cross-
avenue, and was about to turn down an adjoining road to the church when a party of 
young men, estimated variously at three and five, accosted him. They seem to have been 
lying in wait round the corner, where they had parked a large touring car, and, as soon as
they saw Mr. O'Higgins, they opened fire. He was struck immediately, but was able to 
stagger across the road to the gate of Sans Souci, the home of Mr. O'Reilly, where he
collapsed on the ground beside a lamppost. When he fell the assassins fired several further
shots into his body, and then dashed off into their motor-car, in which they drove towards
'From the outset there was no hope of his recovery. He was wounded in four places. One
bullet had entered his head near the left ear and was lodged at the base of the skull;
another passed right through his neck; a third had entered his body under the armpit and
had passed out again through the chest; while a fourth pierced the liver and lodged in the
lower ribs. Surgeons were summoned immediately, but they found that Mr. O'Higgins was far
too weak to stand an operation……all the doctors' skill was useless, and Mr. O'Higgins died
at quarter to 5.'
The assassins, three in number, were Timothy Coughlin, Bill Gannon and Archie Doyle. 
Gannon and Doyle survived for many years after the assassination, dying in 1965 and circa
1987 respectively. Coughlin, however, survived O'Higgins by only 6 months, being shot and
killed in mysterious circumstances in January 1928.
Sir Samuel Romilly, MP for Queenborough 1806-1807, Horsham 1807-1808, Wareham
1808-1812, Arundel 1812-1818 and Westminster 1818
Romilly was one of the greatest of the parliamentarians of the period, a man whose life was
devoted to the reform of the harsh and often illogical criminal law that was in place at the
time. He took his own life in a fit of grief brought on by the death of his wife. The following
edited account of the inquest which followed his suicide is taken from the "Liverpool 
Mercury" of 7 November 1818:-
'We regret that we have not room to report the whole of the inquest on the unfortunate
and lamentable event of the  death of Sir S. Romilly. The following is the most material
evidence. It was given by the Rev. Dr. Dumont, of Geneva, a very intimate friend of the 
deceased - "I arrived in the Isle of Wight on the 3rd of October [1818], and Lady Romilly
was well enough to spend a few hours in company; but Sir Samuel seemed to have no
confidence, and was in the same state of anxiety - Lady Romilly had a relapse. During that
time nothing could equal the excruciating pains of Sir Samuel, but his fortitude and 
resignation. He was almost entirely deprived of sleep, and he has expressed to me his fears
of mental derangement. Once he sent for me in the middle of the night, and spoke to me of
a dream he had had full of horrors. He asked me if I did not consider that as a proof that his
mind was broken. Conversations about his children generally resolved a certain degree of
peace to his mind.
'On Thursday, the 29th of October, about 10 o'clock, while at Cowes, in the Isle of Wight, 
he was informed by his nephew, Dr. Roget, that his lady was no more. I have omitted to say
that the two sisters of Lady Romilly came on the Tuesday previous, and he said he could 
shed no tears when he saw them. He told me his brains were burning hot. He left Cowes
with great reluctance the next day. I accompanied him, and on Friday we slept at 
Winchester. He felt extremely exhausted, and at night was extremely restless. The next
morning I observed marks of great agitation, which he tried to subdue; he was constantly
tearing his gloves, or the palm of his hand, scratching his fingers and his nose, and some 
blood came from his nose. When we arrived at an inn on the road, he was so weak that he 
could proceed no further. We slept there, and Dr. Roget still slept in the same room with 
him. I had proposed to him not to come to Russell-square, but to take some other house for
the night. He answered, that he was desirous of getting home, and he proceeded; but I
observed more violent signs of agitation. In a moment that he was shutting his eyes, and
wringing his hands. I took the hand of his daughter and placed it in his hand; upon which,
opening his eyes, and having perceived what I had done, he cast upon me an unutterable
look of gratitude, and embraced his daughter.
'When we arrived in Russell-square, he made great efforts to compose himself, and went to
his library, and threw himself onto a sofa; then for some moments he was joining his hands,
as in a state of delirium, but he spoke nothing, and appeared to me to be in the state of a
man dying of an internal wound. One or two hours after, he desired to see Dr. Marcet, 
saying his nephew, Dr. Roget, suffered too much, and that he would give him the comfort
He wanted to consult him, particularly about a shower bath…….I slept in a room above him.
About seven in the morning (Monday) Dr. Roget came to me in a state of anxiety, telling
me that his uncle was much worse, with a violent fever, uttering some expressions in a
state of perturbation, and complaining that he was distracted………..'
Mr. Dumont then went to visit Sir Samuel's three younger children and returned to Sir
Samuel's house around 3.30, to find that in his absence Sir Samuel had killed himself by
cutting his throat. 
The jury at the inquest returned a unanimous verdict that Sir Samuel had cut his throat 
while in a state of mental derangement.
Sir Eyre Coote, MP for Queen's County 1802-1806 and Barnstaple 1812-1818
Sir Eyre Coote was an Irish-born officer in the British Army who served during the American
War of Independence and during the Napoleonic Wars, rising to the rank of General. He was
Governor-General of Jamaica between 1806-1808. His career was destroyed in 1816 when he
was the subject of a scandal which he had caused in a school for boys.
On 25 November 1815 he was caught at the Christ's Hospital School for Boys which he had
entered and, once inside, had offered to pay some boys so that he could flog them, and 
they him. Eyre was charged with 'indecent conduct' and acquitted after making a "donation"
of £1000 to the hospital, which the hospital refused to accept. However, he also became the 
subject of a military inquiry in April and May 1816.
The following report appeared in the 'Morning Post' of 19 August 1816, prompted by the
circulation of a pamphlet concerning this matter:-
'From the evidence of several boys, a nurse and other persons belonging to Christ's Hospital,
it appears, that on Saturday the 25th of November last [i.e.1815], Sir Eyre Coote was Christ's Hospital, under the circumstances given in the evidence, and taken
before the Lord Mayor, on a charge of improper and indecent conduct in the school. It was
also stated, that so far back as two years before, he had twice entered the school, and spoke
to the boys in a very foolish, and conducted himself in a very improper manner; but no
particular notice was taken of his extraordinary behaviour until the 25th of November last,
when he went into the school-room where several boys were assembled, entered into
conversation with them, prevailed on some of them, by bribing them with money, to be 
whipped by him, and afterwards permitted them to exercise the like discipline on himself. On 
the latter occasion, it happened that Mrs. Robinson, one of the nurses, entered the room,
expressed her surprise and indignation, and sent for the Beadle. On the following Monday,
Sir Eyre Coote appeared before the Lord Mayor, and being privately examined, declared he
was heartily ashamed of his frivolous conduct; and his Lordship concluded that by
concealment of all the circumstances as far as laid within his power, he should, upon the
whole, best consult the interest of the Hospital, the honour and dignity of the army, and
the public feeling. He [unreadable] that the Lieutenant-General had frequently distinguished
himself in the service of his country, and was connected with an [unreadable] family; and
that, under such circumstances, to expose his folly would be an act of severity, where
forgiveness and forbearance would be more becoming. It was then proposed, on the 
suggestion of Sir W. Curtis, that Sir E. Coote should pay £1000 for the benefit of the
hospital, for which he gave a draft, but the Committee of that Institution refused to accept it.
All those facts were afterward stated in a letter from the Lord Mayor to the Duke of York,
dated April 10, 1816. This affair, having made a considerable noise, the Commander in Chief
conceived it necessary for the honour of the army, that it should be more fully investigated;
and, accordingly, he appointed three General Officers to enter on a fresh inquiry. They met
at the Mansion-House on the 18th of April; and, on examining several witnesses, a very
different impression was produced on their minds from that previously formed by the Lord
Mayor. In the meantime, a long correspondence took place between Colonel Bagwell, brother-
in-law to Sir Eyre Coote, and Sir Henry Torrens, Secretary to the Duke of York; the former
requesting that time might be allowed to produce evidence to show that Sir Eyre Coote had
been subject to frequent fits of insanity. A mass of evidence to that effect was collected.
Another investigation took place in the middle of May before three General Officers......and
after four several meetings, they made a report, of which the following was the principal part:
"That although there is ample testimony of very eccentric and incoherent conduct, amounting,
perhaps, to derangement of mind; yet, at the period when the aforesaid discovery occurred,
he seems to have had such possession of himself as to be fully sensible of the indecency of
the proceeding, and capable of adopting the most grounded and prudent means to avoid
further disclosure."
As a result of this report, Coote was stripped of his rank, dismissed from the army, and his
knighthood, which had been granted in the previous year, was revoked.
Copyright @ 2003-2017 Leigh Rayment